March 17, 2010

*$$ ...

I'm kind of good at spending money. Probably better than I think I am. It's a gift. A gift I use Often and far more than I need to. However, a talent is a talent. I like to celebrate anything and everything with buying something new.
No cavities: New shoes
Clean room: New shirt
Sale on Headbands: Two new headbands
Found a dollar in the dryer: New Purse
Bored: New anything
Okay So some of these I made up. Or just one of them. You get the point.

There is always a Sale at Smith's. Always. Whether it's gum or chaptsick, Hot french Bread or Frozen Pizzas, I'm all over it. I love love LOVE scanning my fresh values card at the end and watching the dollars subtract from my total. The feeling I get when they hand me my receipt after they've circled the 'savings' at the bottom is beyond words.
So naturally there was a sale today. Powerade was the Hot item and though I'm not a huge fan, a sale is a sale. Colby told me he likes Powerade if it's cheap. I'll take that as a yes. at $.25 a bottle (minimum of 8 required) I bought him three cases. When I called my mom to tell her about the big number at the bottom of my lovely receipt, she insisted I buy some for Logan. umm OK!
What I purchased today: ALL items were are sale - keep in mind a minimum of eight was required with the items but you could mix and match.
*6 cases of Powerade
* 16 boxes of cereal: Corn Pops, Froot Loops, Frosted Flakes, and Apple Jacks
* 2 Bottles of Apple Juice
* 5 packages of spaghetti noodles
* 5 bottles of Alfredo/spaghetti sauce
*4 boxes of popcorn (the good kind)
With two transactions ... First total: $111.some change - I paid $47.some change
Second total: $112.some change - I paid $35.some changeI bought 8 boxes of cereal and 3 cases of Powerade for Mom But nonetheless, Colb and I won't be starving.
If you don't think I'm going back for $.49 pasta tomorrow .. You're dead wrong. I've almost doubled our food storage.
When I tried to figure out which cereal Colby would eat, he reminded me that he's lactose intolerant. Like I didn't know that? Trying to get the decision made for me, I asked him this: If there is an earthquake, a tornado, or some other form of natural disaster .. which of these cereals would you consider eating with a bowl of powerade? He just laughed. I came home with a little bit of everything.
I'm rarely this excited to go back to work. Hopefully my heart can handle some more. More than that, I hope my checking account can handle some more. Dear Smiths, Fresh Values card, and employee discount. You make my life worth living.



5 comments:

  1. I love to shop. I just blogged about shopping (and my "why don't any stores sell Easter outfits that can acceptably be worn with g's" dilemma). I lie to myself that it's "useful" shopping if it's a) for cleaning, storage, or organization around the house (I'm in the middle of a super big organizing project right now), b) for food storage ("Cooking With Food Storage Made Easy" is the BEST cookbook!!!), or c) I can wear it to church, or somebody's wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I completely understand your obsession with shopping, especially for groceries on a next to nothing budget! I don't know if you know all of the tricks to couponing and stuff but this week, I am planning a trip to RiteAid and after my rebates and all is said and done, I'm going to MAKE money. Something like $17 or so. Smith's has lots of grocery deals. I should check out their sales this week. Thanks for the heads up and good luck. It is super addicting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, thanks for the heads up about the sale at Smith's. I printed out a list and I am planning my trip for tomorrow. Hopefully I have as much luck as you did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh geez Libby!! This post made my day...To know that I am not the only one who is super obsessed and neurotic?? (If I dare say it??) Good for you girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually hate shopping, but this made me really appreciate it nevertheless. I love Trace's employee discount at Smith's too! It makes for great sales :-)

    ReplyDelete