May 09, 2013

+1 - part 1


    I can't decide where to begin. I feel like life has completely changed in so many different aspects.
Maybe we should start from the beginning -
   April 30th was our last night as a family of 2, most of that evening was a blur until it was time for bed. We were getting ready for our bedtime prayer when I suddenly became very panicked. I couldn't catch my breath and I had a hard time explaining why I was so upset. I was terrified. Of being a mom? Probably. Of giving birth? For sure. For some reason the whole process of being induced freaked me right out, just in that moment. I seriously contemplated calling the hospital and canceling our 7:45 appointment but I asked Colby for a Priesthood blessing instead.
   My sweet husband is my rock. I was able to get a good night's rest and even had a dream about our sweet little boy!
May 1st - We arrived at the hospital. There was no turning back. We checked in and got settled into our room, prepared for the long haul.
Dr Hall came and tried to break my water but was only able to scratch the surface. He said he would be back later to try again. Just a few minutes after he left I started "leaking" I told Colby I was probably peeing myself but we called a nurse anyway. My water didn't completely break until an hour or so later. The contractions started really light but quickly turned into serious pain.
 I honestly and truly do not know how people go natural - you ladies rock. 
The epidural came around noon after about 30 minutes of tough contractions. I was dialated to a 5 and the look on Colby's face with each contraction let me know that I was ready for the sweet modern medicine of an epidural. Which of course, didn't disappoint.
 I felt like the clock stopped for a little bit but before we knew it I was at a 10 and almost ready to go!
 The nurse mentioned something about the baby's heart rate and placed an oxygen mask over my face. I started pushing but found myself very claustrophobic and got really sick. I had to stop pushing so I could throw up. My love for Colby tripled as he held the puke cup and told me how good I was doing.
 Dr Hall let me finish puking before he stood up at looked me in the eye. All I heard was "episiotomy", I consented and we moved on. From beginning to end (with puking and cutting in the middle) I pushed for 20 minutes.
Baby boy arrived at 7:04 weighing 6 lbs 14 ounces and was 20.5 inches long. He barely made a sound but was wide-eyed and beautiful.

  Part 2 coming soon.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! That's amazing! What a beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete