April 01, 2010

*Revenge?? ...

Yesterday I woke up, brushed my teeth, and washed my face. As I put putting on my favorite face lotion, I felt a little bump. Left side, jaw line. Half way between my ear and my chin. I knew immediately what it was. I prayed for a huge zit anyway. I left it alone and continued praying for acne. My prayers were answered. Heavenly Father said no. The pain in my ear started today. My shingles have returned.
  I used to think the rash came with an ear infection but I now know that the shingles come and it brings nerve pain. The pain takes up my whole outer ear. About every 42 seconds all the nerves in my left ear freak out. I like to think of it like this: You have a cup full of ice cubes. You only want one but no matter, You'll get more than one. It's as though the biggest ice cube says "hold, brothers, hold" and then when you least expect it, they all come at once. And you're surprised every time.
 Just like that. All the nerves in my ear stay calm together and when I least expect it, they hold a mini seizure party. I grab on to whatever is close by (tonight it was colb's hand) and I squeeze. Hard. Until the pain is gone. 42 seconds later the routine is repeated. It hurts. Really bad. The worst part? The shingles rash isn't even bad yet. We're just getting started. I don't doubt that I can handle it. I do this about 5 times a year. Champion shingle-r or not. I hate them. Clearly, they hate me as well.

Remember this picture? This was last August. 
This is outbreak #2 since I took this one.
Someone's else' turn maybe? 
 

1 comment: